Blue-Green Algae Poisoning: What You Need To Know About Your Pet'S Best Friend'S Health

Blue-green algae is actually cyanobacteria, not algae. Cyanobacteria are photosynthetic organisms. They get their energy from the sun. Blue-green plants thrive in warm, sunny temperatures and freshwater environments. Water contaminated with cyanobacterium has a foul odor. Dogs are most likely to be affected after swimming in water that contains cyanobacterial bacteria. It only takes a small amount of contaminated water to lead to poisoning. Symptoms can appear as quickly as 15 minutes after exposure. If you suspect your pet has been exposed to blue-green algal/cyanobacteria poisoning, you should consider this an emergency situation. There is no antidote for cyanophilic poisoning. Inducing vomiting is not effective due to the rapid absorption of the toxins. Treatments are available to offer supportive care and manage symptoms. Do not let your pet swim in, wade through, or drink from water that looks stagnant, dirty. Be sure to keep your dog on a lead or in a fenced-in area. While supervised, keep cats indoors or in secure outdoor enclosures. Prevention is the key to preventing a tragedy. . . .

Tags: Dogs/ Dogs And Dogs/ Dog Care/ Dog Health/ Dental Care/

Last Update