Signs Of Ammonia Poisoning In Fish
Ammonia poisoning is one of the biggest killers of aquarium fish. Elevated ammonia can't be seen, making regular monitoring a must. Frequent water testing can detect high levels of unionized ammonia (NH3) long before it turns into the invisible fish killer. In this article, :max _bytes(150000):strip_icc()/ammonia-poisoning-1378479-final-00cbf688364e410bb3572444b9c0d926. jpg (image) Ammonia can happen suddenly or over a few days. Fish will lose their appetite and become lethargic.
The fish's gills will turn red or lilac, making them look like it's bleeding. The dead fish will eventually die. Ammonias can enter the water system through fish excrement. Over-eaten food can also contribute to the build-up of ammonia in the water. Lowering the pH of the water will provide immediate relief. Fish should restrict feedings so that additional waste is reduced. In cases of very high ammonia levels, feedings need to be stopped for several days. Start your fish off healthy when you are doing a set-up for a new tank. Ask a friend with a healthy, well-established aquarium for a cup of gravel from deep off the top of his or her aquarium. If you suspect your pet is sick, call your vet immediately. Test the water for ammonia twice a month to detect problems before they become serious. Feed fish small quantities of food, and then remove any food not consumed within five minutes. Perform a partial water change every other week. . . .