Vitamin D Poisoning Can Lead To Kidney Failure And Death In Your Dog, According To A Press Release From The University Of Florida'S College Of Veterinary Medicine
Vitamin D is an essential nutrient for most animals, including humans and dogs. Dogs need Vitamin D to maintain a healthy balance of calcium and phosphorus in their bodies. Too much Vitamin D can be toxic to dogs. You can ask your veterinary doctor for advice on Vitamin D and your dog. Dogs store Vitamin D in their fat and liver. Because it is not water-soluble, they are unable to excrete excess amounts in their urine. It can take as little as a dose of 0. 1 mg/kg to cause vitamin D poisoning. The fatal dose is around 2 mg/ kg. This equals about 9 mg in a 10-pound dog. Treatment involves hospitalization with intravenous fluids to support the kidneys. In some cases, an oral steroid will be given to minimize calcium absorption. Vitamin D poisoning is a common cause of dog poisoning. Pick a dog food that has appropriate Vitamin D levels. Avoid using rodenticide of any kind in and around your home. Stay up to date on dog food recalls , so you can avoid feeding your dog one that is unsafe. . . .