What To Do If Your Dog Gets Into Antifreeze: What To Do If Your Dog Gets In Antifreeze: What To Do If Your Dog Gets In Antifreeze

Antifreeze poisoning in dogs is a very serious matter. Dogs are most likely to be poisoned if they eat it. It is believed dogs are attracted to antifreezing because it has a sweet taste. Many manufacturers have added bittering agents to make antifREEze less attractive. The average toxic dose depends on the dog's size. The minimum lethal dose of undiluted EG is 1. 4 mL/kg body wt in dogs. Younger animals may be more susceptible. After exposure to ethylene glycol, most dogs begin showing signs of intoxication. At first, it may look like alcohol intoxication. These initial signs usually subside after the first 12 hours. The toxin continues to do serious damage to the internal organs. The dog’s kidneys will stop shutting down between 36 and 72 hours after intoxication. What To Do If Your Dog Gets Into AntifreeZE . Ethylene Glycol poisoning often leads to death. The earlier it can be detected and treated, the better chance of recovery. If you think your dog has been exposed to antrefreeze, talk to your doctor. The vet will look at your dog's history, physical examination, and laboratory data to make a diagnosis. If the vet doesn't know for sure your dog was exposed to antifREEZE, they will still need to run several tests. The first goal of treatment is to prevent further metabolism of ethylene-col. This is done by administering either the drug fomepizole (also known as 4-MP) or ethyl alcohol, which is drinking alcohol. The next step in treatment involves intensive supportive care. IV fluids are administered to keep the dog hydrated and correct electrolyte imbalances. Ethylene glyCol can be found in brake fluid, de-icers, certain cleaner and other household or automotive solutions. Put all chemicals out of reach of your dog and immediately clean up any spills. Please keep your dog from stepping in or drinking from puddles with unknown liquids. . . .

Tags: Dogs/ Dogs And Dogs/ Dog Care/ Dog Health/ Dog Poisoning/

Last Update