Pepto-Bismol Is A Drug Used To Treat Diarrhea, Indigestion, Nausea And Heartburn In Humans
Pepto-Bismol is a brand name. It contains the active ingredient bismuth subsalicylate. Bismuth is a bismut salt of salicylic acid. It is used in humans to treat diarrhea, indigestion, nausea and heartburn. It may also be used as treatment for bacterial infections of Helicobacter pylori. Potential side effects include constipation, black-colored stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, bleeding, and toxicity. Pepto Bismol suspension should be administered orally to your dog at the dose recommended by your veterinary doctor. Never give more than recommended as it may cause toxicity in your dog. Some dogs can find it too toxic to eat. It can be given to dogs with bleeding disorders, pregnant or nursing dogs. An overdose is more likely to cause complications. Salicyl acet toxicity is serious. It could cause vomiting (possibly with blood), depression, hyperthermia, internal bleeding, difficulty breathing, tremors, seizures and coma. . . .