How To Help With Chocolate Poisoning In Dogs

Chocolate is rarely fatal but can cause significant illness in your dog. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine. Your dog cannot metabolize this substance.

Veterinarian approved seal

A 25-pound dog would need to eat about ½ ounce of chocolate or 4. 5 ounces of milk chocolate to have toxic side effects. The amount of chocolate that your dog can eat depends on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate. The toxic dosage of chocolate can cause different signs in your pet. 10mg per pound of body weight will cause agitation, hyperactivity, and GI signs such as vomiting. There are many signs and symptoms that you may see in your dogs. Depending on how much chocolate your dog has eaten, they will start to show signs of vomiting and diarrhea within 2 hours of eating the chocolate. It can take up to 10 hours before very severe signs are seen. If your dog shows signs of chocolate poisoning, call your vet. They can induce vomiting to get some of the toxins out. They will also give your dog medication to help control seizures when they start to occur. Chocolate in large amounts can be very toxic for your dog or make them very sick. Stay hydrated with lots of fluids and restrict their diet to a low-fat food for several days. . . .

Tags: Dogs/ Dogs And Dogs/ Dog Care/ Dog Poisoning/ Chocolate/

Last Update